May will mark dozens of activities within the framework of the International Day against Homophobia, Transphobia, and Biphobia(IDAHOT), awareness raising against discrimination towards the LGBTI community and also human rights protection. IDAHOT summarizes the series of activities for the support of the LGBTI cause and persons, where for some years now, Albania has been one of the countries that have organized such activities.
This year, LGBTI organizations with the support of partner organizations and international institutions will cover a wide range of issues with their activities. The activities below will take place during 11th – 25th of May and they do not only seek to raise awareness, but also to invite the general public to become part of LGBTI allies for equal treatment of Albanian citizens.
- Civil Rights Defenders will host on May 12 regional activists to join Tirana Gay (P)Ride 7. Regional Activists’ Forum will be held at Destil Hostel.
- The LGBT Alliance and Pro LGBT will organize for the seventh consecutive year, the Tirana Gay (P)Ride. The bicycle parade against homophobia and transphobia will take place on May 13, at 11:00 AM. This year, the messages that are distributed, relate to love and acceptance of yourselves by using the hashtags #Kurajomedashuru #Krenarmeqenvetja. As every year, the start will be from the Congress Palace, will continue along the “Deshmoret e Kombit” Boulevard to the “Zogu i Pare” Boulevard. After the parade, at the “Skanderbeg” square is organized a concert with well-known Albanian singers.
- On May 14, the rainbow flag will be raised at Tirana Municipality in collaboration with Pink Embassy in the framework of the International Day against Homophobia and Transphobia.
- On May 15, Pink Embassy and the Council of Europe will host the photo exhibition “Being Trans in Albania.”
- On 15-16 May, Council of Europe and local LGBTI organizations will bring the Regional Police Conference “Greasing the Wheels of the Criminal Justice System” in Tirana, an activity to exchange good experiences between countries.
- For the fourth consecutive year, Streha LGBT invites you to the charity evening “Love is All” on May 17 at 19:30 at Hotel Plaza. The proceeds collected from this charity evening are used to empower LGBTI youth through professional courses and other services. During the Charity Gala, the Allies of the Year award will be announced by the LGBT Alliance and Pro LGBT.
- One of the most interesting activities of this year is called “Closets”. The LGBT Alliance invites you to an art installation at LibrAria – at The Artificial Lake on May 18 to get acquainted with personal stories of people from the LGBTI community.
- Civil Rights Defenders in cooperation with the LGBT Alliance and Pro LGBT will gather on 18th of May, civil society organizations in the seminar entitled “Access to Health – Protection from Discrimination”.
- The IDAHOT activities week will be closed with a youth activity in Wikipedia. On May 19, Wikimedians of Albanian Language and ProLGBT will organize the edit-a-thon “LGBTI Issues on the Albanian Wikipedia” at Innovation Hub Tirana.
- On May 25, Pink Embassy in cooperation with the US Embassy will present the study “Teachers Perceptions on LGBTI Teens in Schools”.